We believe in a world where the lives of animals are respected, and they are free from cruelty and suffering. Our work brings people together in order to create the changes needed to protect animals.
The Holt County Animal Shelter is a private, non-profit organization.
We serve Holt County Nebraska. Through the generosity of our community, we have a well outfitted building. We strive to provide the best care for the dogs who end up in our facility.
Top reason to adopt
1. Because you will save a life.
2. Because you will get a wonderful and grateful animal.
3. Because it will cost you less.
4. Because of the bragging rights of your adorable pet.
5. Because it is one way to fight puppy mills.
6. Because your home will thank you...usually pets from shelters and rescue groups are already house trained which means you are saving a life, you are also saving your carpet....
7. Because all pets are good for your health, but adoptees offer an extra boost of love and appreciation.
8. Because adoption helps more than one animal...It leaves more room to help other homeless animals.
9. Because the shelters give you many different choices of breeds.
10. Because you'll change a homeless animal's world.
There are many reasons that pets may lose their homes. Among those are:
People losing a home or job
Unplanned litters due to not being spayed/neutered
People feeling they no longer have enough time or desire to properly care for a pet.
Reasons for adopting and older pet
1. House training made easy - Senior dogs for the most part are house trained but do sometimes need a period of adjustment.
2. Cuddle Experts - Senior dogs are more laid back and are happy to snuggle by your side, especially when you had a bad day.
3. Save a life - so many senior dogs are needlessly euthanized. They deserve a second chance.
4. Lifelong learning - Old dogs can be taught new tricks. With the right level of patience and compassion, can learn new tricks.
5. A new attitude - Senior dogs have a way of adjusting a lifestyle to improve it. Like moving you off the couch, or playing outside.
6. Live Longer - Recent studies show that having a pet can add up to 10 years to your life. So improved pet care does for dogs too.
7. Transparency - Ask any senior rescue volunteer - what you see is what you get. Unlike puppies who are far less predictable.
8.Purebred likes - if your heart is set on a purebred, there are many available in shelters.